Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week 6: Podcasts (Continued)

The first of the three resources I examined was Alaskool.org (http://www.alaskool.org/default.htm). It is a database with resources related to Native Alaskans and their cultures. I was disappointed to find that many of the resources were not actually there or working properly. After searching the audio/visual resources, I found that many of those listed were not there. They were waiting for permission from the authors.I also discovered that they needed RealPlayer to be viewed, and after downloading and installing it, I still had problems with the videos. Educationally, there is a good amount of information on the Alaskool website. It would take some time to ensure that the information you want is there. It could be used in the classroom to supplement current Alaska/Alaskan Native Studies curriculum.

The second was How Stuff Works (http://videos.howstuffworks.com/search.php?terms=incas&x=0&y=0&media=video). How Stuff Works has a wide variety of videos in many different areas. The videos were collected from different authors such as The Discovery Channel, Science Channel, History Channel, NASA, and many others. The website was easy to navigate and the content was current. All the links worked and the only complaint I have is the advertisements before the videos. Educationally, I found it to be quite useful. This is a resource I can use throughout my classes to help explain concepts I am teaching. It is also usable by the students for research.

The last resource I examined was MasteryMaze (http://www.masterymaze.com/). After reading some of my peers description of MasteryMaze, I felt it would be worth looking at. It is a collection of media files for teachers and students. It also allows teachers to submit their own Podcasts for easy availability for students. This site worked well, but was a little difficult to navigate and find what you are searching for. It does have a good amount of educational functuality. I believe MasteryMaze can be used to upload Podcasts and make them available to students as well as use the resources that are already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment